Data Steward Project Lead (Officer) – SSGM Data Governance
Are you a self-proclaimed geek? Do you want to get your hands dirty with big data? Do you like figuring out puzzles and telling stories? The Data Governance team at State Street Global Markets is looking for a tech-savvy business person who is inquisitive, ambitious and has a sense of urgency to solve problems using data.
This position assists the Data Governance team in the discovery, definition, and governance of data across Global Markets, and assists in the implementation of our data governance program.
- The Data Steward Project Lead (Officer) is a key position on the SSGM Data Governance team, responsible for identifying and resolving all types of data issues. This position requires a combination of analytical and technical skills, as well as a solid understanding of policies and processes across the business.
- Participate in projects involving upstream and downstream data flows and processes.
- Execute data-related tactics and strategies over both the short and long term, to improve Global Markets’ efficiencies in data management through collaboration with leadership, business and technology teams, at a business unit and corporate level.
- Contribute to a comprehensive data catalog where the Data Governance team documents definitions, ownership, business rules, and other characteristics of critical business elements.
- Participate in Global Market Data Governance’s data quality efforts and initiatives, working closely with the Managing Director, Data Governance to design, develop and deploy cultural changes, communications strategies, process redesign, and tool implementation, where needed.
- Use tools to create dashboards with relevant metrics, allowing the Data Governance team to monitor the quality of data across Global Markets.
- Position requires strong written and oral communications skills and a confident, collaborative style, working closely with other members of the Data Governance team, and various business and technology teams, including business owners, subject matter experts, technology resources, and data stewards.
- Create documentation that can be used by the appropriate groups and departments to resolve data issues, as well as keeping Global Markets’ leadership informed on the state of data management efforts.
- Work closely within the Data Governance team to contribute best practices, content guides and processes to optimize data management across Global Markets.
- BS/BA degree. Technology or business degree preferred.
- One to two years of experience in data governance and data management, preferably in global financial services institutions.
- Strong “soft” skills in collaboration, facilitation, coordination, logistics, project management, marketing, and communication.
- Proficiency with project management tools and techniques.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong analytical, prioritization and negotiating skills.
- Able to tolerate and operate in areas of uncertainty and ambiguity.
- Experience in implementing and using data quality tools is preferred (particularly IBM InfoSphere, Informatica Data Quality, or other tools) is a plus.
- Familiarity with regulatory requirements for compliance and retention of data is a plus.